Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bullying is not okay. . .

I just read an article today in the Minneapolis Star Tribune about a survey done among GLBT kids in Minnesota. The results of the survey were disturbing and disheartening, in this Minnesota GBLT bullying article , but not really surprising. As a veteran teacher of 33 years, I have seen my share of bullying. I don't tolerate it in my classroom, but what goes on in hallways, outside the school building, in hidden areas like locker rooms, or elsewhere, I really have no control over. Kids have gotten meaner, emboldened by shock videos, movies, popular culture where demeaning for just about any reason is used for entertainment value. I try to teach tolerance along with my usual curriculum, so I know that I am not intentionally adding to the problem. My attitudes are not shared by everyone, of course, not even all my teaching colleagues. If you stand aside and say nothing when people are being not only physically bullied, but verbally and emotionally bullied, then you are part of the problem. The world is big, and cat bullies might be cute, but people bullies are the ugliest monsters I can imagine.

No comments: